Thursday, April 3, 2008

Can I Please Just Be Better Now?

I loathe being sick. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but I caught something at the beginning of March that's clinging to my immune system like a former playmate clings to a geriatric millionaire. I almost shook it for a while there, just suffering from the inability to take a deep breath without my inhaler, but last weekend's relapse is dragging on.

Today, I decided that I was well enough to work out again. I tromped down to the gym and sat on my bike for a half hour, but I couldn't follow up with weight lifting like I was supposed to. Instead I found myself sitting at my desk light headed, glad that I didn't have a couple of dumbbells over my head right that second.

This is better than last weekend, when I got up to take what had to be the longest morning wee ever and immediately felt like I was going to pass out. Unfortunately, once I opened the fire hose, there was no way to close it until the fire was out. This left me with the uncomfortable thought that if I did pass out, there was a significant chance that I would fall backwards, the fire would be put out without any guidance on my part, and my in-laws would find me unconscious in a pool of my own urine. I considered this the worst case scenario until Management pointed out that I could have fallen with my head in the bowl - similar, but involving the urine of others and resulting in death. That, my friends, is why she's Management.

What's driving me nuts is that the sinus infection is messing with my ability to think clearly. I'm currently taking Sudafed (the good stuff that you have to ask the pharmacist for), which spins me a little, but even when I don't take it I feel a bit disconnected. It's funny, when I was younger all I did was seek out substances that did that for me. Now, it's just bothersome. Of course in my defense, illness and Sudafed almost never raise listening to Pink Floyd to the level of a spiritual experience like some of the other things did.

Of course I'm not going to die from this, so I'm not going to the doctor. As long as I'm able to work and take care of the family, I'm fine. I just wish it would move on. I'll be glad when I can take a deep breath again.

No comments: