Thursday, April 24, 2008

Debugging the *&$% Out Of Me

Well, my body is now officially working against me. My weird heartbeats kept me from sleeping last night until near midnight. When I woke this morning I was a whole world of cranky (sorry to my family). Ironically, the solution to this problem for me is typically coffee, but because of the aforementioned heart issues, I cannot have but a cup before leaving the house. Ugh.

To make matters worse, today is another debugging day. Technically, yesterday was the last day any of us were supposed to be changing code. Of course, yesterday also seems to be when the testing started, because that's when everything broke. So after dinner, I ran to the hospital to return their heart monitor, and then returned to work, where I tried my best to fix everything. At ten thirty one of my cohorts was kind enough to bring our build machine to a halt, so I called off for the evening.

Returning this morning, I have discovered a whole new set of bugs have been unearthed. Ordinarily, I actually enjoy debugging software. It's like puzzle solving. Unfortunately this is only true when I have however much time I need to solve the puzzle. Once the deadline has come and gone, it's nothing but unmitigated stress for me (I'm someone who takes deadlines very seriously).

Now things are getting under control (relatively), and I'm sure tomorrow I'll be my happy, relaxed, non-palpitating self. That's what I'm going to keep telling myself anyway.

In the meantime, here is a dinosaur comic to replace the funny that I failed to bring today. Enjoy!

No comments: