Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wait, Earth Day Is Today?

Okay, I know it's Earth Day, and I forgot to get you something again. Before you go all quakey on me, in my defense I've been fairly busy. Plus, you totally forgot my birthday again, so what say we call it even. Cool?

So, Earth Day, huh? When you talk about it, do you refer to it as "Me Day"? That would rock.

Okay, fine. I'm beating around the bush here. No I haven't signed up for the recycling service at the new house. I keep meaning to, but again, busy. I promise I'll get to it by the end of Summer. New Years at the latest. I know that it's important, but there's a lot going on right now. It's not easy taking care of a family, and remember, we both have new job and all that.

No, I get it. I do. It's important that we reuse what we can. I promise, I'll take care of it. I've just got this other stuff that I have to get to first.

Light bulbs? Um, I actually haven't bought any light bulbs yet. Yeah, I have a couple burned out, I just haven't replaced them. Why?

Oh, fluorescents huh? Aren't they kind of expensive? I mean, I have a lot of lights in this place. Seems like that could add up pretty quick, right?

No, no of course your worth it. That's not what I meant at all. It's just, you know, I'm on a budget, but I'll totally look into those. I mean 50-80% less power to run them, and they last ten times as long. Sure, that seems like a good idea.

Hey, did you see we got a wagon for Christmas? Now that it's warming up, I've started walking the kids to the store instead of driving. Cool huh? I mean, we still drive if it's raining, or cold out, or, you know, if we're in a hurry or something, but still, every little bit, right?

Look, I know things haven't been right between us for a while now. I've been letting a lot of other stuff come first, things that seem really important but could probably wait. It doesn't mean I don't care about you, it's just that it's easy to take for granted that you'll always be there for me when I need you, easy to forget that you need me too.

From now on, I'll try to keep you in my thoughts when I'm taking care of all the other stuff I need to do. I'll try to remember what's important to you when I need to make decisions, and make choices that are good for both of us. Okay?

I feel kind of awkward bringing this up now, but as long as we're talking out our "inconvenient truths" I feel like I should. Is there anything you can do about some of the volcanic activity that been going on at night? Seriously, sometimes the smoke is so thick I can barely breathe.

Baby? Where you going? Was it something I said?

No comments: