Thursday, May 1, 2008

MADD? I'm Furious.

Okay, I'm tired, and I'm stressed, and I don't particularly want to rant today, but dammit, someone always seems to give me a reason, and today it was MADD. See, the latest Grand Theft Auto, GTA IV, just came out, and it includes a scene in which the protagonist has the opportunity to drive while inebriated. They have shown the usual outrage, and requested that the makers, who will make millions on this game and rely on just this kind of publicity to drive sales, to pull it from the shelves based on this.

Now let's get something clear at this point - I'm not a fan of the games. I've read about and seen lots of the previous GTA games, and they are not something that interest me, probably because, as I've discussed before, I'm not a big fan of shooting other people in games. I don't think the games should be pulled from shelves for it, it's just not my bag. The other adults who don't find that content disagreeable and enjoy these games should have every opportunity to play them.

What's getting me here is that what MADD is doing is exactly what makes me insane about most people who bitch about video games, i.e. THEY DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY THE $&#%ING GAME. The scene that they are referring to involves the protagonist going out with a pal, getting hammered, and needing a ride home. The game tells him to call a cab because he's too drunk to drive. His friend tells him not to drive because he's drunk. Should the player ignore all of this and attempt to drive anyway, they will find that the car they are driving is nearly impossible to control and they will immediately attract the attention of the police who will pursue them and arrest them if they can. Essentially, MADD is protesting an interactive public service advertisement against the stupidity of drunk driving.

So there you go - well done, MADD. Like so many before you, the urge to get into the media by attacking whatever is popular at the moment has caused you to attack something that is not only irrelevant, but seems to be arguing for the exact same point you are. Now, those of us who know better will take every claim you make with a tremendous grain of salt, knowing how quick you were to jump to incorrect conclusions in this case.

Douche bags.

No comments: