Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Same Old Saturday Night

You've probably noticed that I didn't update as often as usual last week (like you have nothing better to do that sit around and click Refresh to see if I've posted). Well, Saturday was the Princess's sixth birthday, and between that and other activities going on last week, this fell off the radar a little. Sorry about that.

Having the weekend party is always trying. I hit Friday afternoon and I'm thinking, "Boy am I glad it's the weekend", which is foolish. If I had been thinking, I would have seen the walk out my building for what it was - me sitting on the bull, waiting for someone to open the chute. 24 hours of near chaos followed while we tried to detail clean, decorate, and yes, shamefully buy presents for our lovely daughter. (Did I mention that we've got kind of a lot going on?)

Anyway, she loved her party, tested her new bedtime against a Hanna Montana concert on tv (but forgot what time we had said was her new bedtime, allowing me to retract a previously hasty extension and replace it with a more sensible 8:30), and generally had a good day. Unfortunately, the Moose was making rather merry with the cake and whatnot as well, which resulted in repeated vomiting Saturday night. Not cool. So, it was kind of a late night for everyone I guess.

As if there wasn't enough weirdness in our own lot, a couple of houses down, someone was throwing a big party (ours was limited to family). This is all well and good, but the party in question was apparently a theme party, so while dealing with our own shindig, I periodically looked out the window to spy pirates of all things. It's kind of hard to describe the sense of the surreal that comes from seeing numerous pirates climbing out of SUVs and meandering down the street.

So there you have it. Another weekend that ended with me coming up on Sunday afternoon and thinking to myself, "Boy am I glad I go back to work tomorrow". Well, not really, but I could use a day of bed rest. Oh well, at least everyone had a good time amidst the pink pony party hats, pirate gatherings, and random projectile vomiting.

I just wish for once we could do something different.

No comments: