Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just Call Me the Orkin Man

I'm afraid that today is code freeze at work. That means that this entire week I'm playing the programming equivalent of whack-a-mole, fixing bugs, checking the code in, waiting to see if more bugs come up (they always do), and fixing them again. It's...entertaining.

I typically enjoy programming, but these weeks are rough. The problem is one of scope. See, with so many people making changes at once, it's inevitable that something gets broken. Okay, a lot of somethings. Seeing as how this is expected, you'd think it would be a situation I'm accustomed to, but alas, it is not so.

A big part of the problem stems from my inherent infallibility. See, the drawback to always being right about everything is that when something breaks in my screen, clearly it has to be the doing of someone else. Some nefarious do-gooder is mucking about in the code somewhere, and eventually does something that I will have to hunt down and correct just to get things working the way they were before. I mean, clearly I wouldn't have made such a change.

**********BLOG DISCLAIMER**********
Statements about the perpetual correctness of the author are made with the caveat that his lovely wife has ceased regularly reading this blog. Should she begin reading again, all such statements will be rendered null and void, except in Rhode Island, where all rules have to have an exception. I'm not sure why - maybe they're just trying to be difficult.
**********BLOG DISCLAIMER**********

So yeah, it's stressful, and in all seriousness it is hard to have something break and resist the urge to point fingers, especially when it really is something someone else did. Heck, the only reason I even have time to write today is that someone has crippled my screen so badly that I can't get into it to test anything until they post the fix. Of course, I've been guilty of the same on past occasions (my infallibility being a recent development). Anyway, good times.

No comments: