Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm Not Fat! I'm Festively Plump.

Okay, I'm now feeling properly Christmassy. I set up a tree (just lights so far, because it takes a bloody long time to wind four strings of lights into a fake tree so you can't see the cords, thank you very much). We've almost finished shopping. The local grocer carries Silk egg nog (which goes extremely well with whiskey). I'm all on the Christmas station on the iPhone. Dude, I'm totally jolly and %#$@.

Mostly I'm feeling it though because the kids were out for the weekend, giving us the opportunity to set up the big gifts this year. So we took an entire afternoon to put together this and this. This rocks because now, on Christmas, the only assembly required will be putting batteries in stuff, which hopefully will be kept to a minimum. This a lot more fun that the kids watching daddy quietly cursing out an Allen wrench for five hours.

It's funny, because being a big kid myself, part of my looking forward to Christmas has always been the loot. Even now, we as parental units really don't spend money on ourselves often, so Christmas is one of the few times I replenish my game supply, or maybe get a book or CD I've wanted. Ordinarily my money is slated for more important things like education or broken things around the house.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still all about the loot. I have my little Amazon wish list (which despite reports I cannot see whether or not things have been purchased from - they hide that the entire month of December). It's just not the focus for me. These days, I'm more excited to see the kids open their stuff and play. Oh sure, part of that excitement is that I'll get to "help" the Princess figure out how to use a remote control Wall-E to chase the cat around, but still.

So yeah, I'm now ready for the upcoming festivities. So long as we can keep the snow at it's current levels (enough to look festive, but not so much that I have to go snow blowing each morn), I think I'm good. We just need to bust out the rest of the holiday decorations, crack open a fruitcake, put on Der Bingle, and proceed with the holiday goodness.

On second thought, why don't we hold off on that fruticake for now.

No comments: