Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Only a Flesh Wound

Well it turns out that instead of a cast, all I need is a glorified splint for a couple of weeks. I even got use of another finger, so now only my pinky is out of the game, and frankly, it doesn't do much anyway. Of course my bone will always be angulated, so my knuckle will appear flattish for the rest of my life, but I can live with that. Besides, I wasn't going to give up programming for a career as a hand model any time in the near future anyway.

All of this did get me thinking about casts though. Why do people sign casts? It's not like we sign other kind of bandages. How would you react if I asked you to sign a Hello Kitty Band Aid (which I frequently found myself wearing until I insisted we start keeping standard bandages in the house)? What about something bigger? A catheter maybe? "Dude, sign my bag. Wait, let me warm it up for you first."

Ewwwwwww.

Anyway, other than being slowed down a little bit, I should heal up fine, but I am a little weirded out by the fact that I'll be permanently marked by such a small and insignificant happening in my life, but I suppose that's how life is, isn't it? You never really know which events will be part of who you are forever, and which have no importance beyond the moment that they end. You would think someone with badly thought out tattoos would know that by now, but what can I say? I'm a slow learner.

Maybe I should have been taking better notes, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to get through life without a few scars and battle wounds!!

It makes me think of that seen from Jaws where they're on the boat comparing scars and bumps on the head. They were very competitive in explaining how they got them. It was a source of pride right out of the old textbook, "My dog is bigger than your dog!" It showed their toughness, I guess.

Heal quickly!
M-I-L

Anonymous said...

Oops! I can't spell today.
It's SCENE and not seen.
Good Grief!!!!!