Wednesday, May 27, 2009

And By Inactive, We Mean "Oh God...it burns! "

So, I'm going through a particularly pesky allergy season this year. For whatever reason, the case of the sniffles I got cleaning out the garage (just one more case of the dangers of housework) has now become a week and half of...well, let's just say that I'm now fully on board with the whole head irrigation system. Anything to avoid another sinus infection.

I know it's allergies, however, because my eyes are driving me nuts. They're always red, and they itch and hurt all the time. I constantly want to either shut them or claw them out. It's like I'm constantly watching Uwe Boll movies.

Being a strong believer of self medication, I stopped by my local pharmacy and looked over the eye drops in an effort to alleviate this annoyance. I saw the typical array of products, but then at the end I saw something shiny. It was a new eye drop called Rohto. Being a sucker for shiny, I looked them over, picked one, and moved on.

Now, I'm not the best in the world about looking over labels before trying something new. I'm pretty much satisfied that if they say it will fix something, it will. This has led to learning the hard way that, say, taking a Benedryl in the early afternoon will lead to me staring vacantly and perhaps drooling slightly by mid-afternoon (interestedly, also not unlike watching watching Uwe Boll movies). Well, here again I might have taken a moment to notice that what makes Rohto V.Ice icy is that they put ^#%$ing menthol in it. I didn't notice because they list it an an inactive ingredient.

Far from inactive, putting these things in my eyes is...well, it's hard to describe. Icy is probably a fair assessment. It's not unlike having a chilled oil poured onto one's eyes. I'm blinded for a minute or so, during which I can only imagine I'm making a variety of funny faces while trying to determine if it's safe to open my eyes again or if I should be grabbing a tissue to make it stop. After that, however, my eyes actually feel better for an hour or two. Odd.

Nevertheless, I can assure you that if the good people at Rohto decide they want to get into the enema business, I'm going to go ahead and steer clear of that action.

No comments: