Monday, June 1, 2009

Eventually, My Knowledge Of Programming Will Save The Day. I Hope.

There are times when I, as someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy, have it a lot easier than others. For example, let's say you're planning a trip to a major theme park. Most of you would have to face a tough decision of where you would like to eat each meal. For my family and I, we simply have to identify the one place that serves something we can eat, and we're locked in.

Okay, there's a hint of sarcasm there. In reality, this is another one of those areas where we're kind of punished for not eating like everyone else. The fact is, we have to spend an entire day planning out where and when we're going to eat, scouring online menus, just to ensure that our kids aren't going to go hungry at these places. (Well, my lovely wife had to anyway, which we owe her for tremendously). What's awesome is that she actually could do that. All of this information is online, so instead of waiting until we get there to figure it all out, she can plan it out now.

At if that wasn't enough, she actually found instances where we have options other than the veggie burger. Don't get me wrong - I love me some veggie burgers, and appreciate the fact that I occasionally get to eat at a restaurant without special ordering something (or worse, just letting them put the cheese on it and suffering the inevitably musical consequences later). When you're facing, say, six days of two veggie burgers a day however...well, options are nice. I mean beyond condiments, that is.

Anyway, she was very successful, and we owe her a debt of gratitude for taking the time to do it. I'm not someone who's big on preparations and whatnot, so I would have likely spent half our trip wandering from restaurant to restaurant until I found one with an item we could order. This leads to crankiness as people get hungry and tired of waiting to eat, and I want to avoid as much cranky on vacation as possible. Now, I get to actually take happy kids on rides and stuff.

The lesson: my vacations, not unlike my life in general, are so much better when I leave the planning to someone more qualified.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So where are you headed? Cedar Pointe? Wally world? Somewhere else?

Roger said...

Walt Disney World. We got the letter from the government that we were legally obliged to pay homage to the mouse based on the age of the children.

It was...disturbing.