Friday, July 17, 2009

Why Do All My Life Plans Sound Like Sitcom Premises?

There are times where I grow desperate with my situation, times when I feel the need to change something drastic. Given the fact that I'm not the "abandon your family to wander the Earth, meet people and have adventures like Caine from Kung Fu" type, this leaves me with pondering a career change. Specifically, I'm thinking about starting my own business.

Now I know a lot of people start their own business only to fail spectacularly, but I think I've got a winning angle. First, I've considered what I like to do most. Realizing that no one is going to pay me to play video games and drink, I'm forced to look at my second option, which is writing. Now I could cover the edges of this here blog with ads and wait until this thing reaches enough mass to cover my expenses, but I seem to pick up an average of one reader every couple of months, and frankly I don't have that kind of time, so we're talking freelance writer. I've won contests for writing blurbs before - maybe I could make it work as a career.

Of course it would take time for people to realize my mad wordsmithing skills, and this is where my genius kicks in. See, I would combine the business to use my current skills and my new goal to offer multiple services. So I would have a freelance writer/web development business. The only issue with that is that it seems off-kilter somehow with the two services.

And that's why you add "Detective Agency".

So there it is. I'll start scoping out locations for the new Dangerously Low On Grog Freelance Writing/Web Development Detective Agency immediately as well as scoping out a long term business plan to show the people who give out loans for this sort of thing. They'll probably want details on my qualifications, particularly for the detective agency part, but I figure if I add the caveat that the detective agency will only take cases involving electricity monsters, ghosts, or space kooks then I'll be fine.

The Scooby Gang

Take into account that I can work a white sweater and red scarf like nobody's business, and it's clear that this is gold baby. Solid freakin' gold.

No comments: