Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Happy Dance Was Legendary

I just won a writing contest, and I could not be more full of myself (okay, I could, but my lovely wife would stop talking to me, and that's no good). The contest was to write a creepy story in 140 characters or less - essentially, a Twitter story. I will now reproduce all of my entries, including the winning entry, for your enjoyment. (Warning: My entries do not have my usual language filter, so the eight-year-olds reading this will find it extra juicy.)

First, the winner:

She giggled. No one would look in the dark closet. Through his noose-bent neck, the hanging man shared the laugh and reached towards her.

And then the rest:

He's eccentric, this one, his wall covered in faces, all photos or sketches. "They're all dead," he sighed. Seems an odd place for a mirror.

Why yes, it was a shock finding so many spider eggs. Pretty though, and matched the color of the cookies I was making so well. Have another?

It had been hard, caring for so many cats. Now, as she fed them one last time, she wondered what they would do once her bones were clean.

The mirror on my desk at the morgue lets me know when someone is behind me. Just once I wish they would still be there when I turned around.

I hate distrusting her. She's my own little girl. But ever since her mom died, I swear when she laughs, it's with someone else's voice.

Arms pinned now, the cold water reached her chin. She looked to the distant light trying to remember when the sound of rain calmed her.

He stood, naked and sweating, over bodies lain on years of old comics pages. The knife raised again as he screamed, "Fuck you, it's funny!".

I know you said to stop or you'd call the police, but my iPhone is so quiet I just had to share. I mean, you didn't even hear me click send.

I looked into the mirror, and said to my reflection, "I don't know if I can do this." As I turned away, I heard it whisper back, "I know."

She could have said "I love you" at the funeral, but that's okay. She say it soon enough, once she realizes I'm still here.


A big shout out to Halforums for a particularly interesting challenge, especially for one as garrulous as myself, and a special thanks to our fearless leader Dave, who not only funds this foolishness but tries his hardest to keep our weird little band together despite all the adversity the internet can offer.

No comments: