Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stitches Getting Sicker

Fair warning - I'm in kind of a mood, and the funny will not be found here today.

Yesterday was a bad day, and that bad day is bleeding into today. That doesn't seem fair, but that's how it works, isn't it? A bad weekend changes the course of your week, and attempts to recover fail miserably.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal really, but once in a while I can feel the old sickness lurking about, and today is one of those days. A long time ago, I was diagnosed as depressed, which to this day seems silly, because a medical doctor will diagnose you as depressed or anxious and give you pills for it. Why is it they never diagnose anyone as silly or clinically upbeat? Anyway, I was put on Prozac for it. Prozac was great, because I wasn't depressed anymore. It worked so well, I didn't care about anything at all. "Apathy in a Bottle" should have been their slogan.

After a while the apathy was noted, and a new approach was suggested: get over it. It was put nicer than this, but this is what it boils down to. This worked surprisingly well, and for years now I have done my best to manage my depression by not dwelling on things that depress me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. Once in a while I feel that overpowering bleakness that I used to, and I just can't shake it. I don't know if it's exhaustion or the workload or what, but today I am in a funk of epic proportions. Not even the Moose could cheer me up, and toddler giggles are a powerful thing.

The weird thing is that no one needs to know this. As I wander about my day, I turn it off and effortlessly engage in witty banter with those around me. I laugh at the appropriate places, I respond when a response is required. Essentially, I make sure that no one has to know what's going on, and I'm really good at it. Even as I'm typing this, I'm wondering if I should delete it and try to replace it with something amusing. I actually feel bad that I'm sharing my problems with people. That seems healthy doesn't it?

Well, at least I'm still pretty.

Hopefully I'll run across a batch of code that actually requires my focus, allowing me to stop thinking about this junk. That's the power of programming and playing video games for me - it's like meditation. I get focused, and everything else just vanishes for a little while. When I come back, things seem more manageable.

If that doesn't work, then I'll become our first customer and put it to the DLOG staff. Maybe they have the answers I seek.

Either way, tomorrow I'll find something funny to talk about. One can only keep up the brooding for so long.

5 comments:

Jasen said...

need more fiber?

Roger said...

That does put an interesting spin on the whole "he has issues to work through" thing.

Jasen said...

We know it's not the red meat blocking it anymore. :)

Anonymous said...

Get away...go to a movie...play cards with friends...be more social...change your scenery...do something nice for someone....you might as well smile because your mother-in-law loves you and you can't stop her! Need a hug???

Roger said...

That's it. I'm not a doctor, but I'm officially declaring you clinically upbeat.