Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Nerd Ho!

Okay, I was originally going to try and avoid the whole "I found this cool thing on the internet" type of post here, but the thing is, this is really my contact with the outside world, so if it doesn't go here, you may miss out on some high quality content out there. As such, today will be the first of these entries. At some point I'll have to start putting labels on these so you guys can parse out the stuff you don't want to read.

So today we discuss a newer art form that I'm guessing most of you are unfamiliar with: nerdcore hip hop, a.k.a. "geeksta rap". It is exactly what it sounds like. Someone decided that they wanted to be a rapper, but instead of focusing on gang violence and life in the hood, they would discuss Star Wars/Star Trek, computers and games. Needless to say, these are my kind of people.

The reason we're discussing this topic is that I have recently become hooked on the music of the man who coined the phrase "nerdcore hip hip", one MC Frontalot. Frontalot if first and foremost a rapper, and in my opinion, he's good. His music is reminiscent if Eminem, except I can't specifically recall Frontalot mentioning the need to kill anyone. (As a side note I'm actually a pretty big fan of Eminem, but I equate listening to his albums with watching a horror movie - it's something you have to be in the mood for, and I'm pretty sure it's not healthy to listen to often.)

Follow the link and skip over to the mp3 page, and you'll find some amazing stuff there. It's not for everyone of course - like myself, he has a pretty extensive vocabulary, but he doesn't let that stop him from using a four-letter word if that's what's called for. The music behind the raps vary, but is for the most part excellent (I particularly enjoyed the sampling on the remixed Nerdcore Hiphop (Yos Mix), which many will recognize as coming from Revenge of the Nerds).

The fact that he uses a combination of math, computer, and gaming references with equal skill meshes well with the topic ranges. From old school text adventure games to the wonders of aging, he covers a lot of ground. There's even one on there he was commissioned for to be included on a kids album discussing little red riding hood from differing points of view. I tested this one out the Princess this morning on the way in, and subsequently had to listen to it four times before she got to school.

So there you go. Check it out, download some music legally, and have a good time. Just don't blame me if these things get stuck in your head. Oh, and don't ask me to explain any of the computer references. I don't even get them all.

No comments: