Monday, March 31, 2008

Steppin' Out

Date night has become something of a challenge these days. A big part
of this is the fact that I'm typically in charge of planning date
night, and as previously discussed, I have the romantic skills of a
rabid ferret. Nevertheless, I occasionally request Management's
company on an outing, and this last weekend such an event occurred.

The first issue of date night is that whatever activity we're going to
pursue pretty much has to be happening in Kalamazoo, as I have yet to
undertake the task of finding a local babysitter. This is kind of
ridiculous I admit, but as we've discussed before, I am the
quintessential paranoid parent, and the idea of leaving my kids to be
watched by some teenager would eliminate any benifits of going out
with my wife, as I would spend the entire time wondering if my house
was burning down or if my children were being instructed on the proper
method of preparing a hit of some illicit substance on the sitter's
behalf. Nope, it's off to the Grandparent's house if we're going to
attempt to go out and relax.

As such, we made the trek on Saturday so we could go out and enjoy
ourselves as couple. This led to a couple of interesting moments, the
first being the Princess' fashion advice. Before we left, she pulled
me aside and told me that I had to take out my earrings. Apparently,
not only did they not go with my outfit (I tried to disagree, but she
wasn't having it), but I was told that for a date I'm supposed to look
"handsome, not cool". I didn't realize at the time that these things
were mutually exclusive, but apparently they are. She told me I could
leave them in for now, but I had to take them out when I went on my
date. She even reassured Management that she had spoken to me about it
and that it was all taken care of.

So we went out, ate at our favorite Indian restaurant in Kalamazoo,
and just genreally hung out. It's funny, but when you have young
children, it can be a treat just to go shopping and be able to wander
a store aimlessly checking things out with no pressure from the kids.
Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I should have, and at one point
during dinner I requested that Management remind me that we needed to
buy diapers before going back to the in-laws for the evening, to which
she replied, "How romantic". At least we laughed about it, but still,
epic fail.

Despite my best attempts, we actually went out and had a nice time. I
really need to start interviewing locals so we can go out more often.
Of course I'll have to install cameras throughout the house and then
get a new phone so I can get online and check the camera's
periodically first. Plus, I'll have to find someone to run background
checks on potentials. And then there's the drug testing.

Yeah, maybe I'll just drive out the in-laws for a little longer.

No comments: