Friday, August 29, 2008

Hey, Where the White Women At?

So yeah, politics. I know, I know - I said I wasn't going to talk about this stuff, but it's an election year. What are you going to do?

The fact is, I've been pretty well avoiding the topic for the most part. I skipped the coverage of the entire Democratic convention, and unsurprisingly, I intend to do the same when the Republican version comes around. Why? Because I can't take any of these people seriously anymore. It's becoming a real problem.

But then the news came in that McCain had selected a running mate, and that it was Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin, and I officially went into overload. What I would like to say is that this is a terrific sign of the progress we've made. What I'd like to say is that it's encouraging that after the historical battle between Clinton and Obama for the Democratic ticket, now we have an equally important event on the Republican side. That's what I'd like to say, but I'm not going to.

Here's the thing. I'm afraid that at times, I can be pretty cynical. I know, you're all saying, "But Roger, we come here and read these bubbly, life affirming posts of yours and can only assume that this is your natural state". I can see where regular readers might not be able to help picturing me in a field of sunshine, petting unicorns and farting rainbows.

I'll give you a moment to go wash up - sarcasm stains you know.

Anyway, I can be pretty cynical, and nowhere am I more so than in my views of politics. So when I see this announcement about the presumptive Republican VP choice, all I can think is that it was done for the simple reason that it will encourage the former Clinton supporters that were threatening to vote for McCain to actually do so. I mean, the person he's chosen has less than two years experience as Governor. This in a race where his primary argument against Obama is lack of experience. The whole thing smacks of a political maneuver, and frankly, I'm tired of feeling like the whole show is put together in the name of getting elected instead of, oh I don't know, actual concern for our country or what we could do to fix it. What makes me madder is that I'm also cynical enough to think that a lot of Americans will be making this choice for the wrong reasons, and that stupid political ploys like this happen because they work.

Now, I don't know much about Governor Palin. Maybe she's brilliant. Maybe she'll make a great Vice President. Hell, maybe she'll make a great President (McCain isn't exactly a spring chicken). My problem with the selection is that why it was done seems pretty clear, and I don't think it has to do with experience or knowledge, but an agenda to split the Democratic party further, and I'm sick of feeling like all politicians do is make decisions to win votes.

On the bright side, I live in Michigan, where political stories read more like bad television shows, and my cynicism is not just justified, but practically demanded.

No comments: