Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And I will Hug Them and Love Them and Name Them George

We've discussed the backbreaking work that was my lovely wife and I trying to save out lawn. Well, a three day weekend and a nasty pair of sunburned ears later, and I think we've won. Unfortunately, instead of just being a matter of hours of suffering at the end of rake and shovel, our situation, as it always seems to, became overly complicated.

The way we fixed the yard was with lawn patch. I go out and dig up nice squares of lawn, use the rake to tease it back into a roll, and then flip them over. We cover and level that with some fancy fertilized soil stuff, and then cover the whole mess with lawn patch.

Now, my neighbor had attempted to lay down some of this lawn patch previously with little success. He even warned me when he saw me putting out vast tracts of it that it didn't work. He did not, however, follow the directions, so a week later the first patches we did are now filling in with grass as hoped. I was tempted to go outside, stand on my new lawn, and shake my heiny at the neighbor, but my lovely wife discouraged such action, not out of fear of alienating the neighbors so much as not wanting me to stand on the new lawn yet. That's my guess anyway.

Having proven that it worked, I went in with renewed gusto this weekend and tore up the side and backyards. I was getting the little spots which simply rely on raking out the dead grass when I came to a patch of dead grass that looked off somehow. I figured maybe I had pulled a clump of grass out and left it, although I was trying not to do that as it makes it harder to see what needs to be patched.

Pulling the grass aside, I discovered that we have a bunny nest in the backyard. I took a moment to admire the cute little buggers, covered them back up, and uttered a four letter word that I dare not type here for fear of losing my solid PG-13 rating. See, the last step of the lawn patch is watering the hell out of it twice a day. So now that I've torn up the yard, I have to contend with the potential of drowning a nest of baby bunnies. What with me being a vegetarian, hossenfeffer was out, so now we've become the secondary protectors of four tiny bunnies.

Naturally, I did what I always do when faced with a difficult moral dilemma - I told my lovely wife the situation and asked her how to solve it. After several false starts, she settled on a system of covering the nest with a contraption she built from Tupperware, wooden splints and duct tape (I should have known duct tape would be involved). I cover the bunnies, the sprinklers run, then I uncover them again so mommy bunny can come out and feed them. It's complicated and feels a bit silly, but what can you do?

On the bright side, it has led to another potential epitaph: "It was complicated and felt a bit silly."

No comments: