Monday, September 22, 2008

At Least I Was Doing Laundry, So It Wasn't a Total Waste Of Time

Last night, I watched the Emmy awards, or at least I watched part of the Emmy awards. I don't watch for the awards, what with not actually watching enough TV to know what the &$%# any of them were talking about. I watch for the show itself. After last night, I might not make that mistake ever again.

I'm not sure what happened, but the show was just painful to watch. The five hosts were just awkward. The bits in between were rambling, unfunny, or both with the exception of those I expect funny from - Don Rickles, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey and Any Poeler were funny. That's pretty much it.

The show wasn't just not funny though. Something was off about the whole thing. The other attempts at humor weren't just no funny, they were hard to watch. As an example, the Laugh In reunion bit. I've never seen Laugh In, so I can't speak to whatever it is they were striving for. What they got was, well...there's this moment in Sunset Boulevard where the lady of the house, an aging and all but forgotten actress, is putting on a show for her beau. She's dressing up and trying to be funny, and he laughs, but his laugh feels forced, and you just end up pitying her. That's what they got.

Anyway, I don't know what was going on last night, but I bailed at my usual ten PM bedtime. From what I've read, I didn't miss anything by leaving when I did. Either way, I have to say that while these shows are typically forgettable, I don't think I'm going to forget this one for a while, which is a good thing. I'd hate to think of getting caught up in the same waste of time next year.

No comments: