Friday, October 3, 2008

A Modest Proposal...Or Two

Well, I watched the debate and was truly disappointed. Both candidates held their own, and no one did anything that will make themselves easy targets for future comedy. Biden came across as experienced and able to speak to many facets of governmental and international workings. Palin raised her standing from tremendous twit to merely brutally unqualified. Of course, I may be biased.

Somehow, it has up until now escaped my knowledge that here in Michigan we also have a couple of proposals to vote on. I'm a big fan of such proposals most of the time, as it gives me the impression that I actually live in a democracy where my opinion can directly affect the laws that govern me. Of course I usually just end up feeling put out at the fact that so many people differ so wildly from my opinion, but hey, that the whole melting pot thing, right?

So, I'm going to do my civic duty and talk about these issues in case you missed them, my fellow Michiganders. If you're one of my readers from another state, or don't feel like reading a long, unfunny post from me about real life (I wouldn't blame you), you can feel free to go read Get Fuzzy. It's funny, and it makes me happy.

So, first we have Proposal 1, which is the legalization of medical marijuana in the state of Michigan. Now, I personally don't understand why this is even a question, but then I support the legalization of a lot of drugs that are currently illegal anyway. Once we have a practical, proven use of something that could benefit people who are suffering, why would we continue to protest that use? You want to stop the recreational use that full legalization would entail (along with the subsequent tax income and reduction in drug related crime), fine. But for medical purposes, there is no reason we shouldn't be supporting this.

For more information, you can go to the Michigan Coalition for Compassionate Care, the creators of the proposal. In the name of fairness, I will also link to this press release from the group Citizens Protecting Michigan's Kids. As usual I will point out that it seems that the way to protect kids is through legislation, not personal parental responsibility. Funny how consistent that is.

Proposal 2 I'm all screwed up about. The second proposal would allow embryonic stem cell research under very specific conditions, those conditions being that the embryo was created for the purpose of in-vitro fertilization, is not going to be used for that purpose (and thus will be destroyed), and is less than 14 days old. I can honestly say that I have no idea how I feel about this. I can see the need for stem cell research. I can see where this will open Michigan up to compete in the arena of medical science, one of the only areas other than our failing automotive industry where we have traditionally done well. So this could open up a lot of opportunities for us, as well as help to advance medical science and help people who are suffering.

Ignoring some of the protests I've heard (including the threat of "weird science" and a television ad you may have seen claiming that it's going to cost taxpayers - an ad that the makers have since had to admit is patently false), this whole thing makes me a little queasy. I am, for various reasons, pro-life. I'm not militant about it. I don't necessarily want to overturn current laws. It's just my gut feeling that there's something not right about it. Most of this comes from my knowledge of late term abortions, which I cannot accept as anything other than killing. Once that idea takes seed, it's hard to follow a pregnancy backwards and say at what point it would be nothing more than a blob of cells, which obviously at some point it is. (Sorry, I know this isn't as much fun as my usual posts, but hey, I have to be real occasionally.) So to say that at fourteen days were okay to do what we want isn't a simple thing.

I'm not supplying links to more information on that one. It's too charged a topic and too personal, and the pages I found were not impartial enough to be accurate or even useful. (Seriously, one talked like there were legions of mad scientists waiting for this to pass so we could create a human-bovine hybrid. What the point of such a creation would be is beyond me, but apparently it's a big concern. I'm guessing it has to do with advanced stripper technology and breaking the two ta-ta ceiling that has held us back for so long, but that's not really my area of expertise.) I would encourage you to do your own research if you haven't already made up your mind. Hell, do more research even if you have.

These proposals to me seem more important that the electing of officials. When we elect officials, all we can hope for is that this other person, who we agree with to some measure, will follow through on whatever promises they've made that we liked. With the proposals, we get to directly affect the way our country works. I can't see a greater use of democracy, or a greater responsibility of our citizens, than to take them seriously, give them the consideration they deserve, and make your opinion known.

Unless you disagree with me - then stay home and keep your opinions to your damned selves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked your writing about this topic. Good thoughts from a great guy! I love you but I will be getting out the bar of soap. I am not DAMNED! I'm far from perfect, but mercifully forgiven. I know my Savior on a personal level!
Happy to be your M-I-L!!!