Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sometimes...Sometimes I Need To Lie

As some of you know, one of the reasons I started this blog was a need to write, and failing any attempts at fiction, I decided that it was better just to write anything that to give it up entirely. So, five days a week (or as close to it as I can come) I sit down and throw a wall of text at you good people. Some days I talk about things that happen to me, some days I talk about things that make me mad or things I can make fun of, but the point is that I write.

Well once again the urge to put down words of fiction is rising in me, and I don't know why. I keep wanting to tell stories, to get these weird little ideas out of my head. What's interesting to me is that I've been paying attention to the people in my forum, and there seems to be a lot of them who have this same urge. Now, this is hardly a standard demographic, what with all of us being there presumably because we all enjoy the same webcomic, but still, I'm surprised by the number of them who have this creative urge. Many write, some tell stories, other do both serious and comedic webcomics, occasionally someone puts up a crude drawing of themselves sitting naked at their computers cursing out the rest of us (awkward), but the point is that there is a strong creative urge among them.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but it's strange, right? I mean, why do we do it? Why do we feel the need to share these fictions? Is it a way to express some aspect of ourselves in a way that we can't express directly? Is it a need to try and seek out truths that are somehow to big to handle by simple discussion?

Perhaps it's something more than that. Perhaps our need to create is somehow ingrained into us. I can't find the quote, but somewhere in Neil Gaiman's Sandman books, someone explains it as the difference between the animals and men - the ability to dream and tell stories, to take something that exists purely in the mind and make it real for others.

Either way, I think I'm going to find someplace to start doing so. It won't be here - I tend to run a PG-13 shop around here, and I couldn't guarantee that same level of cleanliness where my lies are concerned. I'll have to find some darker corner of the web to haunt. In the meantime, to work out some of this for myself, I will be treating you all to a taste of something interesting later this week in celebration of Halloween - I've decided to share some of my favorite nightmares with you. So each Friday, up to Halloween, I will share one of the things that has snapped me awake at night, leaving me gasping and afraid to so much as move.

Hey, what good is an audience if you can't make them suffer along with you?

No comments: