Monday, November 17, 2008

On The Bright Side, Still No Contact From Relatives

This weekend, I finally hit the point of Facebook weirdness. See, I'm pretty open when it comes to the whole friend invite thing. So long as I know you, or knew you, we're good. It's turning into a bit of a high school reunion, but that's okay. As I've previously mentioned, it's nice to see what people are up to, make smart ass remarks about their statuses, and generally feel like I'm maintaining contact, all without the difficulties of actual, real-life socialization.

So, this weekend I get another friend invite. This one actually included an email spelling out that I went to high school with her, she graduated a year ahead of me, yadda yadda yadda, which people don't usually go to the trouble of doing (typically it's just the automatic "so and so want to add you as a friend"). So, I'm at this point curious as to who this is.

I follow the link (all on my iPhone, where I do the Facebook stuff), and I'm presented with the usual, extremely brief overview that is supplied when you're not actually friends yet. This includes the person's profile and their profile picture. So, what I have at this point is that she's married, she's catholic, and she chose as her profile picture a shot of herself in a bikini.

And I have no idea who I'm looking at.

This isn't a huge shock at first, because I have a lousy memory (not to mention I don't recall a lot of people coming to school in a bikini). So, I ask my wife (who went to school with me) if she knew who it was. She says yes, but it does nothing to jog my memory. Since I didn't remember this person, I ignored the request.

Now let me explain this a little, lest you think me callous. I know that for some people, these sites are a game. The whole goal is to see how many friends you can get. So, when I'm presented with an invite from someone I don't recall, and they have chosen a profile picture that would appear to be selected for maximizing the potential "yes" responses, at least among the male crowd (or the female gay crowd - don't want to leave anyone out), then I am suspect that I am being used as a pawn in the game, and homey don't play that. Besides, the bikini thing is a little awkward. If you don't believe me, then I'll change my profile picture to myself in a banana hammock and see how many of my current friends drop me like Fox dropping a program once they realize how good it is (Firefly canceling mother %#@$ers).

The real kicker here is that in writing this, I realized who the person is. We were in choir together (which is how I knew most people not in my immediate circle in high school). So now I kind of feel bad for ignoring the request.

But not as bad as potentially causing any of you to picture me in a banana hammock.

No comments: