Friday, November 14, 2008

Lifestyles of the...Meh. Whatever.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with me that I almost never care about the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Everyone else in the US of A seems to eat this #%@$ up, and I can't even make myself read the preview blurb that shows up under Google news headlines. Is it me? Am I overestimating how interested others are in this stuff?

Take for example the whole Brad-Angelina-Jennifer fiasco. You know how much I know about that? That Brad, Angelina, and Jennifer are involved, and that the prettiest among them is still Brad. It seems like every other day, I see another headline on these three. Jennifer said something. Now Brad's all huffy about it. Angelina wants to give up movies so she can built a real life "It's A Small World" ride in her living room, and she only has to adopt 15 more kids until it's complete.

Do. Not. Care.

It's not that I dislike these people - I don't know them, so how could I. (Side note - that is an inaccurate generality. Example: If you're the dude who farts in the cereal isle at the grocery store right before I go down it, causing my to step right into the eye of your funk in an effort to buy my kids Cheerios, I don't need to know you. I don't like you.) I enjoy their work for the most part. I just don't care about their home lives. It's simply none of my business.

Now of course there's a line there. What if I really enjoy someone's work, but it turns out that the person is a tremendous douche bag in real life? Do I boycott their work on the basis of my disapproval of their social skills? Is it irresponsible of me to simply not care what kind of person they are so long as their not being really destructive? Should I have stopped reading Ctrl-Alt-Del by now?

Beats me, but the question has zero effect on my apathy towards this kind of celebrity news. I note two kinds of celebrity news - someone did something that I can poke fun of (like letting naked pictures of themselves get onto the internet), or someone died. Yep, until People starts a section that's nothing but death and humiliation, I think I'll pass.

Actually, now that I've said that, I fear I've cursed some celebrity to die in a some ridiculous fashion while stark naked, the entire thing filmed and leaked on the internet immediately. I don't wish that on anyone, but I am a man of my word. I'd have to watch it.

Please, please let Hugh Hefner be safe tonight.

No comments: