Friday, December 12, 2008

Ah, To Be Chewbacca. What a Wookie.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how lucky I am. I've got a great family. I have a job that does not seem to be under any kind of immediate threat. I'm pretty. I've got a lot of things going for me. Some of it is through hard work, some because I have an excellent support system, but some, some is pure, random luck. In this last category I put the following item.

I've got a full head of hair.

I'm not saying this to make my follically challenged fellows feel bad about the gleam upon their pate. Rather, I'm saying it because I dodged a genetic bullet on this one. This is an instance of tremendous luck on my part.

When I was a young man growing up, I had always heard the same thing. If you want to know if you'll be bald, look at the uncles on your mother's side of the family. Well, I had two biological uncles. (Mom was adopted, so I also had a drunk of other uncles, which for those of you who didn't know, is the proper term for more than one uncle - a "drunk" of uncles. Well, it was in my family anyway.) These two were nice and all, but they had less hair on their combined heads than Keanu Reeves has emotional outbursts ("Whoa...I'm so upset. Dude, what were we talking about again?"). So yeah, I was looking forward to a life spent scouring haberdashers in the hopes of hiding my striking resemblance to Friar Tuck.

Now I know what you're all saying right now. "You're so charming and smart and funny, why would you concern yourself with looks?" I get that a lot. Nonetheless, I must confess that I, shamefully, am a proud man. That, and I have a tenancy to grow my hair out long. Guys who can wear the bald look are lucky, but I have yet to see the successful pulling off of the balding hippy look. It always comes off so...I don't know. Balding hippy I guess.

So there you have it. Amongst the things that I am grateful for in my life, I simply must count the fact that I've got a full head of hair. I know it shouldn't matter, but even with the whole "beauty comes from the inside", I'm still grateful.

After all, as a man, I have yet to have something come from inside of me that would fall into any category other than "Gah...get it away! Kill it! Kill it with fire!".

No comments: