Thursday, December 11, 2008

Do Scotsmen Dream of Electric Sheep?

I have a question, and it's one that is now really eating at me. We have all this technology, right, and we use it to build all of this ridiculous %#@$ that no one really needs, right? So, for those of us who tend to watch such innovation, you see certain trends, and one glaring absence.

Why isn't anyone trying to build android men?

This topic is being discussed today thanks to my lovely wife. She sent me the link to the latest attempt to build a robot bride. This yahoo (sorry for my international readers, but I do not know the proper, Japanese transaction for "yahoo"), for reasons I do not comprehend, has taken two years and several thousand dollars and dedicated himself to building himself a girl. This is a variety of creepy that even I, at my most nerdcore, find disturbing.

She includes many "features" too. She reads the day's headlines to him over breakfast. She gives directions while they drive (heh - the world's first genuine GPS nagigator). She'll slap a dude who gets out of line. The guys was kind enough to point out that their relationship remains, shall we say, platonic, although he has pondered the upgrades that would be required to make them man and droid (and in that instance, I'm using "man" in the loosest possible sense).

The thing is, this isn't the first I've heard of men attempting to create robot wives/girlfriends. Ignoring the obvious Stepford comments, all sorts of attempts have been made to allow guys with enough money to simply sidestep the whole "actually go out and meet a girl" scene. Take real dolls for example (link is Wikipedia, so it's safe and informative, in a really creepy kind of way, but I don't recommend following any links after that if you be at work today).

So, while all of that is creepy and whatnot, it naturally leads to the question at hand: where the hell are all of the male doll makers? I mean, why are men so desperate to avoid women, but women seem to lack this desperation? Are we really that easily replaced? I suppose it's not that difficult to take out your own garbage, so as long as a woman can open jars, our usefulness is greatly diminished. But still, it would seem like there would be some market for an artificial fella, right?

Personally, I would like to think that it would take more than one of these and a "neck massager" to replace me, and if anyone thinks otherwise, I would appreciate them keeping that opinion to themselves.

No comments: