Friday, December 19, 2008

At Least I Already Have A Bunch Of Their Change

Living in Michigan, I've been paying close attention to the news regarding the rotten state of the automotive industry. I have to. Not only do I know people who will be affected by the shutdown of the big three, but part of me believes that the government will cut its losses and sell Michigan to Canada when it happens, and it drives me a little crazy when people say "aboot".

Well, I'm not politically savvy enough to completely understand all of what's going on here, but last night I made a couple of helpful observations for my friends in the industry. It may be too late for this to help all of you, but those left standing might take note. It's regarding your advertising, which I made the mistake of not muting last night when it interrupted Stephen Colbert.

First, the commercial I was watching made a big thing about some award the car had just won. That's fine. You accomplish something, go on with your bad self and brag it up. What I take issue with was that the award for best resale value 2009. I'm not sure if you think we're stupid, or your claiming to be psycic, but trying to sell your cars by claiming that people from the future have declared it the best car, again, in the future is stretching things a bit far, don't you think. Why not just start bragging about the new flux capacitor design and the car's ability to fly while your at it.

Okay, obviously I'm kidding with that one, since the automotive industry has an odd habit of labeling their cars a year in advance, which frankly has always irritated the hell out of me, but here's the more serious observation. They pinned onto the commercial that there is also a huge deal going on right now where "the price on the tag is the price you pay". So the tag says it's a thirty thousand dollar car, and you pay thirty thousand dollars. Huh.

Now, you'll have to excuse me if I'm slightly underwhelmed with this, but if I understand this correctly, then what you're claiming is that the big special of the week is that for a limited time, your cars will be sold like almost every other product in the known world. Maybe I don't buy enough cars (I'm sure the automotive industry would say so), but can someone explain why this is a big deal? I mean, if I went to buy a head of lettuce or a video game, and there was a big sign saying "Special today - all price tags are accurate", I'm thinking I'd be unimpressed. Unfortunately, same thing applies to cars.

So yeah, if any of you are left standing in 2009, and I really hope you are (I actually drive an American car, and I like the idea of being able to get parts for it and whatnot), maybe this information will be useful. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice, but let's be honest. These are tough times, and we all need to watch our own backs, and bank accounts, for the moment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read up on parliamentary government and start practicing my moose calls, eh.

No comments: