Wednesday, December 17, 2008

If Part Of It Is Removed, Do You Call It a Semicolon?

Let's start today by pointing out that yesterday, I said I wanted enough snow to make it look Christmassy. One day later, we have exactly enough snow to make it look Christmassy, and no more. Conclusion: I may have super powers. I'll keep you posted on that.

Anyway, a couple of interesting news tidbits today regarding my musical companion, the colon. First, it has been discovered that colonoscopy's are not as effective as once thought. Basically, the view is limited to mostly the left side of the colon, resulting in things being missed on the right.

Now, as you may or may not recall, I actually went through that recently. It wasn't the worst thing in the world (that would be eating Quest Doritos), but I wouldn't exactly jump at the chance to go through it again. So the idea that something may have been missed based on alignment is a wee bit unnerving.

Anyway, the other news item, and the one I enjoy more, is that new research shows that smoking increases the risk of colon cancer. Aside from the obvious question (Are the smokers doing it wrong?), I'm once again forced to wonder why smoking continues to even be legal. I mean, we continue to outlaw marijuana, which has proved to have genuine medical benefits, but tobacco, which accomplished nothing but addiction and various flavors of cancer runs free. Bizarre.

On the bright side, now crack dealers can point out that there is more than one addictive substance that can be associated with your butt, helping sales in a struggling economy.

No comments: