Thursday, January 29, 2009

Also, It's a Spoiler to Tell Someone When You're Cutting Muffins. They'll Figure It Out.

As previously discussed, we tend to watch all of our television after the original airing in our house. It's more convenient, we get less commercials, and frankly, we're busy and forget that we have a show we watch sometimes. Most of the time, this works out really well, but it presents one challenge that has become, well, challenging.

Yeah, I totally forgot that Lost was on last night.

Because everything is on the internet instantly, when I put off a show, that means I begin a dance whereby I try to avoid any information about what happened in said show until I've gotten to see it or myself. This means avoiding my usual news sites, staying out of particular topics on forums, etc., all in the name of avoiding spoilers. As someone who spends way too much time on the net, this can be a tricky thing to do.

The good news is that I've gotten good at it. Oh sure, my habit of not watching movies until they've been out on DVD for a year or so has led to many things being ruined for me (seriously, it was a sled?), but for the most part I know how to spot a troublesome site or story before it gets that far. I'm not sure how long a movie has to be out before it's not technically a spoiler anymore, but I accept that occasionally this will be the way things go.

Anyway, at least for today, and perhaps tomorrow as well depending on how busy I am, I will be selecting my links a little more carefully. I will a bit more wary about where I surf. Hopefully, I can keep from finding out too much about what happened on the show last night. Maybe I'll exclusively hang out on J.J. Abrams site.

After all, the show's been on for almost five years, and he's barely revealed anything about what's going on so far.

No comments: