Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I've Never Even Been To St. Ives

Each day, I prep myself and two kids to skip out the door. I've gotten pretty good at it, but I have noticed one troubling trend. We seem to have an increasing number of bags going out the door with us every day.

Personally, I leave the house with three bags on the average day now. I have my briefcase, which contains my important work like my PSP, my iPhone headphones and cables, and the books I'm currently reading. I also have a backpack with gym clothes and a lunch bag. (I'm not telling you what I keep in there because I have to have some secrets, right?)

Okay, so that gets me through the day, but what of my offspring? Well, the Princess has a backpack, and this being Winter, she has to keep her snow pants and a pair of shoes in it. As a result, she has to carry her lunch bag separately. The Moose has a bag that his nebulizer travels in for emergency asthma attacks (which he has not had in a long, long time, thank goodness, but better safe and all that) as well as his own lunch bag.

So, during the long Winter months, that has us carrying out seven bags each day. This is...well, it's a lot. Today, however, we outdid ourselves. See, tonight is the chaos I alluded to yesterday, whereby I will pick up the Princess, pick up the Moose, go directly to dance class, and then promptly follow that with a school event. To facilitate this, I had to add on a dance bag, the diaper bag, and an extra lunch bag with PB&J bagels for the kids to eat for dinner. That puts us at ten bags today, ladies and gentleman. I haven't traveled with this much baggage since I went off Prozac and gave up family disputes.

I suppose at some point this will diminish. In the spring we'll shed some of the gear. Also, I should probably figure out a clever way to combine my two bags without allowing the funk of a workout to infect my electronics and reading materials. So eventually, we'll manage to get this under control.

For now, though, know that at least once each day, I truly have wicked sack.

No comments: