Monday, January 26, 2009

The Lure of Lazy

My lovely wife is away for a couple of days on business, leaving me the sole parental unit for our two lovely children. This means I'm in charge of all dressing, cooking, cleaning, school events...the whole thing. I'm okay with this, as I am a strict disciplinarian and the kids hang on each word I say as if their little lives depended on it.

At some point today, if you're real quiet, you may actually hear my wife laughing from Illinois.

Anyway, it really isn't a tremendous task. It's just a couple of days and our kids are well behaved, plus the Princess is always willing to step up and assist me when I request it, so long as the occasional bribe is offered. The thing is, I keep thinking of it as difficult for some reason, and that pushes me towards the lazy.

I'll give you an example. Tonight is macaroni and cheese night. Macaroni and cheese is the easiest thing in the world to prepare. Boil noodles. Throw a pat of margarine and a bag of cheese into now boiled noodles. Stir. Serve. Eat. Not exactly a big effort there.

Nonetheless, this morning I have repeatedly caught myself thinking, "Well, it's kind of a pain carrying everything in and cooking with the Moose running around, so maybe I should just order Chinese food for dinner tonight". (Seriously - I start planning things like what how we're going to handle dinner before breakfast is done. My mind is a strange place.) Deep down I know that there is no practical reason for it, but the idea keeps coming up. Maybe it's that tomorrow promises chaos (dance class followed by a school event), so I'm tempted to take the easy way out tonight to expedite a relaxing evening. Maybe I just dig on the egg fu young with brown rice. It's hard to say really.

Either way, I know I'm just being lazy really. That doesn't mean I won't end up ordering out of course. It just means I recognize why I'm doing it, and for me, that enough sometimes. Sadly, that's a long way from the way I used to work, when I never questioned my reasoning for taking any action so long as it was something I felt like doing. Besides, the desire for Chinese food is pretty innocuous as far as desires go.

When I can figure out why I occasionally feel the urge to cry out "Someday, you will all kneel before me" randomly at work, then I'll be making real progress.

No comments: