Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Heat of the Moment

Sorry I missed yesterday. I was very tired, very sick, and very unfunny. Believe me when I tell you that you wanted no part of that action.

Anyway, today I was pondering one of the many uncomfortable situations one must face when in an office setting. You walk into a meeting room that a group just left, you sit down, and the seat that you have chosen is still warm from the individual that was sitting there previously. You didn't see who was there a minute ago, so there is no clue who's body heat you are now absorbing.

This creeps me out. Big time.

It's not that I'm worried that they did something nasty there like push an SPD down into the seat cushion, leaving themselves a clean getaway while the next sitter inadvertently releases the stench lying in wait below. That's a different thing altogether, and while unpleasant, at least has an element of skill to it. My own daughter has caught me in this trick, and while I was less that pleased, I did admire the talent involved in the moments before the lack of oxygen caused me to black out.

Rather, my discomfort comes from the simple fact that there is a tranfer of body heat from some unknown individual at my office and myself. Seriously, consider for a moment those situations in your life where you have exchanged body heat with another individual. Take, for example, this morning when I was snuggling with my son before school. (What? I assume that was the kind of thing all of you were picturing. Wasn't it?) Now take out that other individual from the moment you were imagining, and replace them with the sweaty guy from HR.

Yeah...not cool.

I realize that this discomfort is somewhat unfounded. It just creeps me out a bit. I don't jump up out of the seat or anything. I will, however, consiously choose to not sit in a previously occupied seat if given the opportunity for exactly these reasons. And perhaps, next time you have to go to a meeting, you'll consider my words, and make a similar decision.

If not, you'll definitely think of me the next time you use a public rest room and the seat is warm, and really, what more could I want from life?

No comments: