Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm Not Getting Drunk, I'm Stimulating the Economy

I know that we're all concerned about the economy, and that our government is doing what it can to try and get things moving. While most of my good idea have been ignored (I'm all for a cake-based economy myself), I am impressed with some of the creativity I'm seeing, particularly here in Michigan, where the recession/depression that you're all seeing started ages ago. Your global financial meltdown is what we commonly refer to here as "Tuesday".

First, we're trying to turn Michigan into the new Hollywood. I for one would love to see that happen, if for no other reason than some of the best movies ever made have come from here. Plus, I'm starting to think that maybe basing most of our economy on car makers might have been a mistake. That's probably just me though.

Even better, though, is the latest suggestion to get the economy moving: keep the bars open later. If we can drink until four AM and buy booze on Sunday morning, the state collects more taxes, the bars make more money, yadda yadda yadda. I mean, it makes sense and all, but it just seems wrong somehow. Maybe Homer Simpson was right when he identified beer as the cause and the solution of all of life's problems.

I guess I'm lucky either way. Somehow there always seems to be a gig for a programmer. Still, I would love to see Michigan's economy finally pick up. It would be nice to see people working again and hear some good news about our economy for a change. I'd like to see the good people of Michigan given a chance to pick themselves up and show pride in their state for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Ah Hell, who am I kidding? I just want to be surrounded by drunken movie stars in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments: