Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Misery Indeed

I have another terrible confession to make, which is good, because without terrible confessions my blog would mostly consist of links to cat pictures. Anyway, I have an intense, irrational dislike of someone, and even though I know it's for the wrong reasons, I can't shake it. Last weekend, while trying to enjoy Revolutionary Road, I once again had to deal with distraction of my disdain.

I seriously cannot stand Kathy Bates.

Being an actress, I'm sure Mrs. Bates has dealt with those who do not appreciate her work, but that's not the case for me. I think she's a great actress, and I can honestly say that I've never seen her in a role that I wasn't impressed by. Her performance in Misery alone counts her as brilliant in my mind.

What's more, she's never done anything in her personal life, that I'm aware of anyway, that I would take offense to. In fact, I know almost nothing about her, being that I don't particularly follow celebrity news. So as far as I know, she's a saint who feeds homeless people and saves puppies from burning buildings.

Still, I can't stand her.

Why (you might ask) would a seemingly rational individual such as myself harbor such a passionate yet seemingly unfounded dislike for someone? It's simple. Kathy Bates is the spitting image of my mother, the lady I stopped talking to over six years ago. So every time I see her, I have this ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to her. It's bizarre, because I know that it isn't my mother, but my mind won't completely accept it. So yeah, every time I see her in anything, I can't help but feel like I'm watching my mom.

On the bright side, writing about it cause me to do my usual bit of research, and now I know not to ever, ever, ever watch At Play in the Fields of the Lord or About Schmidt.

No comments: