Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Did That Really Need To Be Said?

Browsing Facebook this morning, I got another notification of someone joining a cause. As far as I know, this consists of clicking a link, with no commitment other than that, but it's a nice thought, right? Anyway, the thing that got me was that it was one of the really obvious ones, and I started wondering, do we really need to point this out? I mean, really contested topics like politics or religion I can see, but some of these are just silly.

Today the cause was people against animal cruelty, and all I could think was, "Well durr". Who is it out there who reads that and thinks, "Well now wait a minute, some animals just need a good ass kicking." Really? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this qualifies as something I think we can all agree on, right? Is there a group of people out there (discounting the handful of deviants) who really want to be cruel to animals and thinks that should be okay with everyone?

Even weirder is the one about getting pedophiles off of Facebook. Again, it's good to support such a cause, but really, who (other than said pedophiles) would really disagree. Can't we, as a society, determine that there are some things that we all agree are a bad idea? If so, do we really need to declare that we support these causes? Personally, I'd be more impressed if the freaks got together and put up a support group for the Facebook pedophiles. Of course I'd be all for the prompt arrest and beating of anyone who joined the group, but you get what I'm saying.

Instead of protesting, perhaps I should just join the fray and start making groups of my own. You know, let people know who I am through my public support of things that I assume we all can agree on. How about a group that supports not breaking the law? Maybe a group that unites together to agree that we should all observe gravity and not float about like balloons? Or a group that agrees that we shouldn't slam our winkies in the door, or cook bacon naked?

People against elevator flatulence unless it's really funny - now there's a cause I can get behind.

No comments: