Tuesday, March 3, 2009

If I'm Wrong, I'll Be the First To Apologize to Mr. McFiddlebottom

Talking about Star Wars yesterday got me thinking about the original movie. This is typically a bad thing when talking about popular, sci-fi franchises. Specifically, I started questioning the whole Luke-lives-with-his-uncle-Owen part of the story.

Seriously, stop and consider this maneuver for a moment. The second worst despot in the history of the whole Jedi-Sith scene has effectively aided the now galactic Emperor in taking over, well, the galaxy I guess. (For those wondering, Vadar is the second worst because the Emperor, being both evil and upper management, is clearly worse.) This villain, who has now sold himself into the Sith lifestyle, has no idea that his children survived birth. So, you're one of the few Jedi who survived, and you have to figure out what to do with the adorable spawn of Vadar.

Obi Wan: So...what do we do with these two, eh?
Yoda: Look not at me. Too old to change diapers, I am.
Bail Organa: We can take one of them.
Obi Wan: Well, I sense she'll be strong and independent. Very princess like.
Bail Organa: Perfect. We'll raise her as our own daughter. Princess Leia Organa.
Obi Wan: Right. Then what do we do with him?
Yoda: (Yawning) Care not do I. See if his uncle can take him.
Obi Wan: What if Vadar comes looking for him?
Yoda: Of children Vadar knows not. Be fine the boy will.
Obi Wan: Okay, so we send him to Tatooine. What will we call him?
Yoda: (Clearly getting irritated) Call him Luke Skywalker.
Obi Wan: But master, that is his father's name. Surely we don't want...
Yoda: Look, long day I've had. Correct me no more, or the business end of my light saber will meet with your dark side. In fact, since care so much you do, you too will live on Tattooine. Watch the child you will. Try to guide him. I sense a tendency to become a whiny, teenage beeyotch in this one.

Maybe they were going for the whole hide-it-in-plain-sight theory, but doesn't it seem like at least not calling the kid Skywalker would have been a good move? Don't you think that, growing up, at least one person he met would be all, "Hey, isn't Skywalker the name of that dude who went bat&$#% insane and killed all those wannabe Jedi kids a few years back before turning into Darth Vadar?". Maybe Tatooine wasn't that big on current events. Either way, I would have called him something else, just to be sure, but maybe that's why George Lucas is a multimillionaire, and I write a free blog online.

After all, who would seriously believe that the ultimate hero needed to end the Galactic Empire and restore balance to the force would be Spanky McFiddlebottom?

No comments: