Monday, March 2, 2009

The Real Reason I Refuse To Play World of Warcraft

Yesterday, the Princess wanted to play Lego Star Wars on my PSP, and I did what any loving father would do - I told her to wait until I finished the level I was on. I collected the requisite number of Lego studs (which are the little things that hold Lego pieces together and the games version of coins, not men in leather outfits made of Legos) to achieve True Jedi and finished the level. Then I set her up in Free Play mode on my game and, with the usual reluctance I get from handing my favorite toy to another, handed the game over.

She got right into it, playing one of the flying level almost to completion before requesting that I put her back into the standard "running around as a Star Wars character shooting things" type level. I finished the level up for her so any studs she collected would be added to my total, as I'm saving up to unlock some of the extra characters and extras. Then I put her into a regular level and handed it back.

She plays for a few more minutes, and then she starts bragging about how she's picking up so much money (a declaration I do not correct, as I don't really want to hear my six year old daughter talking about how many studs she's picked up). For the most part, I say something supportive like "Good job honey" while continuing whatever I was doing. Then, at one point she said it, and I found myself saying things like "Make sure you pick up the blue ones - they're worth more" or (while looking over her shoulder) "Hey, you can shoot those things for extra coins". I told myself that I was just helping her enjoy the game, which she clearly was, but a small part of me kept wondering if that was true.

I think I might be using my own daughter for gold farming.

So now I have to watch myself for signs of such activity. I'd hate to catch myself telling her she can do her homework later, and suggesting that she play the game instead just so I can unlock the stud multiplier. Of course, if I did unlock it, then any studs acquired while she was playing would be worth up to six times as much, and it's not like she's not having a good time, right?

Sorry sweetie, no Hannah Montana tonight - Ghost Anakin Skywalker isn't going to unlock himself.

No comments: