Monday, May 4, 2009

I'd Have Prefferred To Hear About His Truck

As I may have mentioned before, I'm no fan of country music. I can listen to it and recognize the talent of the people involved, it's just not my bag. Like my inability to grasp the idea that anyone would purposely watch people turning left for over three hours straight, the allure of it somehow just escapes me. I can't really explain it better than that.

Anyway, there are rare occasions where I will allow it to continue, one of those occasions being when the music is part of A Prairie Home Companion, the radio show that I listen to when I can on the weekends. For some reason, if it's good enough for Garrison Keiller, I'll tolerate it long enough to get to the news from Lake Wobegon or the adventures of Guy Noir. It was such an occasion this weekend, as I drove alone to return my daughter's overdue library book.

Now before I continue, you have to understand my state of mind at that moment. See, I've been sick (again), and between the latest antibiotic and Sudafed, I had basically not slept nearly enough in about a week. So I was exhausted, and as such perhaps a smidgen overemotional.

So Garrison introduces this Brad Paisley guy, and not being part of the country scene, I don't really know what to expect. The guy breaks into a tune about how he's having a baby boy, and all the things that are going to happen if the kid is like him. I think I may have made it up to the point where the kid gives his mom a hug and shakes his dad's hand as he's leaving home before I was fully blubbering like an idiot. To make matters worse, I was driving through our little town on a Saturday night, so there were throngs of people along the streets. Okay, maybe like half a throng (it's a pretty small town), but you get the idea.

This is not the first time I've fallen for this. One thing I will say about the small amount of country music that I've listened to is that the subject matter is very...human. It's not all love songs, or music raging against the machine. It's just about people being people. Maybe that's one of the reasons I don't listen to it. I get plenty of people being people in real life.

When I'm looking for entertainment, I want songs about people being evil geniuses.

No comments: