Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Even the Ones I've Seen Pictures Of. No, Especially the Ones I've Seen Pictures Of

As I mentioned in the long, long ago when I started this thing, I like to write. Unfortunately, my efforts at fiction have thus far been found to be lacking. Admittedly, I only submitted a few stories, but it's a time consuming hobby to collect rejection letters and my fragile ego decided that my time would be better spent elsewhere. So, I write this instead, finding my talents more suited to humor than fiction.

There is one case where I am lured into using my writing talents outside of this site. See, I cannot back down from a challenge. Well, that's not exactly true. I can happily back down from a challenge if there's nothing to be gained or I think it's silly. This is what saved me from that let's-see-who-can-eat-the-most-pickled-pig's-feet-and-the-winner-gets-a-kick-in-the-junk debacle. (I find most challenges that start with a drinking contest are best avoided anyway). However, if there is a prize, it's a pretty sure bet I'll at least look into it.

This is what won my my beloved "durr" cup, as pictured below. A simple blurb writing contest for Halforum.com (which is where about 75% of my readers hail from - hey guys), and I found myself a prize winner. More importantly though, someone outside of this space and people who had proofread things for me had shown approval of my writing. Sure it was just the about us hunk, but still, it was a nice feeling.

My prize

Well, they've started another writing contest, but this time it's fiction for a bigger prize, and it's messing with me a bit. I have an entry. I don't think it's bad. It fulfills all of the contest requirements. The only problem is that I'm really weird about showing it to anyone. So I haven't had it proofread for criticism, and I'm submitting it Friday. Today I bit the bullet and asked for help from my friends on Facebook, but part of me is hoping no one replies. Oddly, I have no qualms submitting it to people I've only met online.

I guess that's the benefit of believing deep down that all everyone else on the internet is an artificial construct created by the Government to keep me distracted while stealing all my good ideas.

No comments: