Friday, June 5, 2009

I'm Going, and Yet I'm Not Going To Go There

As mentioned yesterday, the family and I are headed for Walt Disney World. Well, we're arriving tomorrow, the first week in June. For those that don't know (the only reason I know is that I was clued in by a more Disney savvy co-worker), this is actually a special day annually at the Magic Kingdom park. For tomorrow culminates Gay Days, a whole week of...well, I'm not sure what, and I'll be damned if I'm going into a bunch of research online for it. The line must be drawn somewhere, and I'm still hurting from the dinosaur junk thing.

Seriously though, the bit of looking I did do doesn't concern me much. Apparently Gay Day started as a grass roots effort by a guy named Doug Swallow (assuming that's true, and it's on WikiPedia, so it must be, that is the most unfortunate name that could be associated with such an event). It's not an official Disney thing. The guy wanted to get a day when a bunch of the LGBT community would show up at Disney in red shirts (one would assume that the cross section of the LGBT community and Star Trek fans would have protested, but whatever), just to be seen. It got a lot bigger over the years, and apparently now attracts over 135,000 people. Yikes.

Now, ordinarily this is the part where I would make a bunch of jokes about this, but I'm not going to, and not just because my lovely wife put a hiatus on me making jokes about wearing chaps without pants underneath after an unfortunate indecent on Facebook. No, I'm not going to make jokes because thanks to our good friends in California, that would force me to count myself amongst the haters, and I can't do that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - once we work past this ridiculous "debate" (it seems I find very few people actually debating about anything), people are going to look back on this controversy of ours the way we look back on segregation. So I, who ordinarily takes the stand that pretty much anyone or anything is open for joking about so long as it's relatively good-natured, is backing off this one time.

I hate to admit it, but this is killing me. This shouldn't really surprise anyone. I'm a big fan of the easy joke, and this whole thing is rife with potential. As stated, however, I will stand resolute. No princess jokes. No Chip and Dale jokes. Nothing. Once in a while, even I feel the need to take a stand.

Just to reassure you all, though, if it was Furry Day at Disney (which, let's face it, actually makes a lot more sense), there would be no mercy shown. &$%#ing freaks.

No comments: