Monday, June 15, 2009

Walt Disney World: The Short Form

Okay, instead of dragging this out forever, I'm going to shoot out a vacation highlight reel and then move on. So, without further ado (because lord knows I hate it when there's too much ado), I give you my Walt Disney World highlights:

Biggest disappointment: Gay Day at The Magic Kingdom
Considering the brouhaha I had seem from certain church groups online, I expected the park to be like a day-long pride parade full of mesh shirts and tiny disco shorts. Instead, it was just a bunch of people in red shirts. It was a lot like I imagine heaven to be in the Star Trek universe. I went the entire day, and only saw one couple making out under the fireworks, and as they didn't violate the cardinal rule regarding public displays of affection (try not to make out in public if you're ugly), it was largely inoffensive.

Ride most like being on drugs: It's a Small World
Seriously, I went through the whole ride with my jaw hanging open. I still can't really find words to describe how delightfully weird it is. The best I can do is say that when people drop acid, this is what they are hoping to achieve.

Favorite ride: The Haunted Mansion
What can I say? I love me some Haunted Mansion. I went twice, and I loved it both times. This time, I had the added bonus of having someone point out to me that at the back of the pet cemetery outside the mansion, a grave has been erected for Mr. Toad, whose wild ride (the second best ride after the Haunted Mansion when I was five) was refitted for a sadly dull Winnie the Pooh ride in 1998.

Mr. Toad's Grave

Hottest park: Disney's Animal Kingdom
Okay, you would think that a theme park made up like a jungle, complete with tree shade throughout most of the park, would be cooler than it's counterparts. Instead, you get the Animal Kingdom, where the whole place feels twenty degrees hotter than the surrounding area, and half the attractions seem to involve walking paths. We did breakfast, the safari, two air conditioned shows, and watched a parade, and then took off for someplace cooler. Like Hell.

Coolest special event: Star Wars Weekend at Hollywood Studios
This was awesome. Star Wars sets. Stormtroopers patrolling. Chewbacca (what a wookie). The actors who portrayed Boba Fett, Jengo Fett (and countless clones), and the one and only Darth Vader on parade. Very, very nerdcore.

Best character meal: Cinderella's Royal Table
Okay, now the Tusker House Breakfast that we attended to celebrate the Moose's third birthday was cool, and the kids got their pictures with the full set of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Minnie, but Cinderella's won for two reasons. First, not only did the kids get a great professional picture with Cinderella, but during dinner, there were more characters performing as well. If this wasn't enough, the kids got toys - a princess wand for her, and a sword for him. To emphasize that last point: they gave a freakin' three year old a sword at the dinner table. I would say the highlight of the meal for me was discussing our dietary restriction with the chef, and seeing my son take his little sword and poke the chef right in the junk with it. The fact that I didn't laugh out loud still astounds me.

Me at Cinderella's Castle

Best country at Epcot: Germany
Oh sure, I could have gone with Mexico for the food, or America for my country, or Canada for...I don't know, Martin Short I guess. Instead, Germany wins out. It had good chocolate, good beer, and clocks that little, toy people come out. Man those crack me up, especially after the good beer.

Scariest ride: Dumbo
It's a little car with a tiny seat belt, there's not really a door on the outside, and how high you go is typically decided by the kid sitting next to you. %#$@ that noise.

So there you have it. There was more - a lot more, and I'm sure it will come up in time, but overall, it was an excellent trip. Now I just need to get rested up, because Disney is fun, but it leaves you a bit hung over.

Okay, the whiskey probably helps, but mostly, it was Disney.

No comments: