Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm Calling Everyone To See Who Answers Fastest, And You Totally Won

So, the date of my becoming an uncle fast approaches. In fact, a doctor apparently predicted the there is a significant chance that the little lady will escape her current living quarters within the week. Having two children of my own, I know what this means for my brother-in-law, the father to be. He's sitting by the phone all day, jumping when it rings in anticipation of this being the call.

Naturally, it's everything I can do not to abuse this situation.

I don't recall ever having a reason to call him directly before. Oh sure, I could call him up with helpful advice, but I've kind of covered what he needs right now, so that's out. Still, I suddenly have all of these questions that I feel he is uniquely qualified to answer, and I don't think it's unreasonable to call and ask, right?

"Hi Nick. I was trying to remember - how many strings are there on a banjo? Huh. How about an upright base? I see. Okay, thanks."

"Hi Nick, it's me again. I forgot to ask before if we could order a cd of your band from somewhere yet."

"Sorry to interrupt again, but I figured you're an accountant so you'd know this one. Do I look for dividend information on my balance sheet or my statement of retained earnings?"

"Hey Nick. Boy, you sure are answering the phone quickly today. Anyway, I was hoping you could help me settle a debate online. Who would you say was the most talented of the Monkees?"

The Monkees

Fortunately for him, I am an upright individual who would not prey on another person's anxiety for my own amusement. No, I choose the more noble path of simply waiting with him, ready to lend any kind of support I can. Better to be helpful and take the high road, avoiding any kind of louche games that, while potentially amusing, might be hard on already strained nerves.

Well, that and I still really don't like talking on the phone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok! I see that you feel like MONKEE-ING around! Sounds like you remember too well what it feels like to be sitting on pins and needles waiting for "the call". Thanks for helping us see Nick's side of the coin. Good job, Uncle Roger!!

Love,
M-I-L

Anonymous said...

You're too funny Roger....And Nick would say it's a toss up between Micky and Mike :) He argues back and forth for both.

Love,
Dawn