Monday, August 17, 2009

Not That I Don't Value Your Opinion, Internet

As is often the case, this morning I faced the conundrum of clothing. I've discussed that one of the great benefits of being a computer programmer is that it allows me to dress like a high schooler. My concern is that as often as not, I take advantage of that opportunity. Thus, the nice dress shirt I ironed this morning got thrown over a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. The only reason this concerns me is that I have a history of having my own style, a history that is both rich and varied, and I'm afraid that as I get older, I'm going to start taking on the appearance of someone who is resisting his age.

Don't get the idea that I'm afraid I won't age gracefully. I can't flip a pancake gracefully, so any concern I put into aging gracefully would most likely backfire. Besides, this kind of pretty should only improve with age.

Rather, I don't want to be that guy that people look at with that sad, "Oh look, he thinks he's still twenty" gaze. I know how old I am, and I'm cool with it. The issue is that I still have these urges. Occasionally, I want to put in the earrings, although they always look wrong now, and I never actually make it out of the bathroom without removing them. Still, I go to grab a pair of dress pants and a button-down shirt, and it always turns into my jeans, tucking be damned.

And my hair. My hair just wants to be long.

Of course, I resist the urge to regrow my hair for the simple reason that no one likes it that way but me (dammit), but the rest I'm not sure about. I mean, what are the alternatives? Put on a suit every day? Shine my shoes? Wrap a brightly colored noose around my neck and pretend it's comfortable?

Sweater vests?

Not a chance. All that stuff is fine for special occasions (well, not the sweater vests, but the rest is okay), but it's just not me. So hopefully I can go on as I have without the misunderstanding that I'm trying to cling to my youth. Frankly, I'm a lot happier now than I was in my youth. I just like to be comfortable and wear watches with bands that are too wide. Is that so wrong?

On second thought, don't answer that.

No comments: