Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Should Be Grateful They Work At Softsoap and Not Massengill

Today I read to my daughter's elementary school at lunchtime, and while there I had cause to use the restroom, where I made the following observation: the hand soap they put in elementary school bathrooms is the same pink liquid that they used when I went to elementary school, a long, long time ago. This is both amazing and somewhat comforting. More importantly, it had the two qualities I look for in a liquid soap: it was liquid, and it smelled like soap is supposed to smell like.

Now some might scoff at the preceding statement, but think about what you have at home right now on the bathroom counter. It seems like over the last few years, someone went nuts in the creative department of Softsoap, and now we have liquid soap in at least 99 flavors. My lovely wife protests my use of the word "flavors" when describing such things, but really, once you have "black raspberry & vanilla", "pomegranate & mango" and "juicy melon" varieties, we're talking about flavors. These are deserts, not sanitary products.

More egregious, however, is what has evolved from the liquid soap industry. Now we have advanced liquid soaps, which include random stuff floating around in it. "But it's just beads of shea butter to soften your hands". Bah. They look like spider eggs, and their in my damned soap. Besides, I don't want to put stuff on my hands. I want to wash stuff off of my hands. Isn't that what we were shooting for in the first place?

Don't even get me started on the self foaming stuff. How lazy are we as a species that we have found a way to get around the ever-tiring process of lathering? Sheesh.

So huzzah to the producers of pink liquid soap for staying the course. As soon as I find out where I can get a case, I'm on it. I may even install the little hand pumps at home, so I can have the full experience.

Now the little milk cartons - the ones that only open correctly like two-thirds of the time - those could still use some work.

No comments: