Monday, April 5, 2010

I Guess "Here Famous" Doesn't Impress The Same Way

Well, the weekend saw me driving the family across scenic Michigan to take a weekend trip (and by "scenic", I mean, "flat and occasionally tree covered"). As I am wont to do, I shopped for available billboards while admiring the work of others. In the process, I came across something that I'm not sure I approve of on a billboard for a bakery - the use of the term "world famous".

The Cops and Doughnuts Billboard

To give you a point of reference, this here website has, according to my analytics, had visitors from sixty two different countries. That seems like a lot to me, but that could be due to the fact that my ignorance of geography keeps me aware of only those countries currently threatening us (I'm looking at you, Canada, sitting there all polite and quiet, smiling while you sharpen you're skates and train your squadrons of attack-beavers). So I've had people from all over the world swing by and hopefully snicker at my work here.

Still, I don't know that I would go so far as to refer to the site as "world famous". That just seems...I don't know. Presumptuous perhaps. I might call it "world vaguely-aware-of" or maybe "world stumbled-upon", but "famous"? It just seems a bit much.

As such, I must admit that I remain dubious that the bakery known as Cops And Doughnuts (so named because it's actually owned by police officers - nice) is truly famous around the world. I guess I should have stopped and found out. Maybe the doughnuts are just that damned good. The truth is though, once you get burned by one "world famous" attraction, it's hard to trust again.

Damn you Mystery Spot. Damn you for making me believe.

St. Ignace Mystery Spot

No comments: