Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wait For It...Fjord!

When I went to Disney last year, I wrote up an overview of the trip for you good people (and yes, for you lousy ones too), but sort of glossed over one important point. See, the trip was actually very educational for me. As someone who has not traveled much, only leaving the US of A for the gentle climes of Canada (which is really just America Light), I'm sort of confined to the news and television for my views of other countries. Now, thanks to Epcot, I have diversified this knowledge greatly.

I'll give you an example. I'm part Mexican, so you'd think I'd know stuff about Mexico, right? Yeah, not so much. Fortunately, I'm now far more aware of my heritage. I mean, I knew about the Incan stuff, but who knew Mexico was actually full of señoritas in flowery dresses and dudes in sombreros? Oh, and the mariachi bands that are apparently everywhere. I find it hard to believe that the drug wars I hear about on the news could be happening in a place with so many mariachis, going around playing guitars and making everyone all jovial-like. I shall read further reports with a grain of salt.

Another country I was ignorant of was Norway. I mean, I knew Norway was lousy with fjords (which Epcot confirmed for me), but that was pretty much it. Now I know that to this day, Norway is a land of Vikings, a place where people travel by ship to battle swamp trolls with giant, double-sided axes. Who knew it would be so exciting? Of course I'm in no hurry to actually go there now, what with not liking riding on ships or forest trolls much, but still. Very educational.

Fjord. God I love that word. Fjord fjord fjord.

Okay, I'm done.

Anyway, there was a lot more. Everyone in France loves wine and cheese and art and the Eiffel tower, which I kind of suspected already. People in the UK like rugby and knights, which I was also aware of. People in Morocco like cous cous and belly dancing, which surprised me, as I thought belly dancing was more of an Egyptian thing, but whatever. There was just so much to take in.

Oh, and Martin Short %#$@ing loves Canada, which I didn't know, but in hindsight makes total sense, because he's always just so damned polite.

Martin Short as Edward Grimley

Fjord.

No comments: