Wednesday, February 4, 2009

For My Next Trick, I'll Pull A Kidney Out Of My...Wait...What?

It's been a while since I brought you any truly bizarre news around here (yesterday didn't count - dammit, people are hurting out there), so let's rectify that today. According to the recent news, in an effort to make kidney donation less invasive, doctors successfully removed a donor's kidney through her vagina. Apparently, it heals faster and there is no visible scar ( or at least it isn't visible to anyone not packing a speculum).

As usual, what I really want to hear is the brainstorming session that came up with this:

"I want to donate a kidney, but not if it's going to ruin bikini season."

"Well, what if we pulled your kidney out through your hoo-hah?"

"Oh, well that's different. Let's do this thing."

Hmm. Well, I suppose if it convinces someone to donate that otherwise wouldn't, great. What throws me is this excerpt from another article on the subject:

Dr. Anthony Kalloo, the director of the Division of Gastroenterology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, has revealed that the operation conducted on January 29 was one of a family of new surgical procedures called natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgeries (NOTES), which use a natural body opening to remove organs and tissue.
The pioneer of NOTES has also revealed that the most common openings used are the mouth, anus and vagina.

You know what, if I was considering donating anything, and the doctor involved suggested that it might be better to remove the needed organ through my anus, I'll be out the door faster that George W. Bush at someone else's inauguration. I don't care about scar tissue or the pain involved. You are not pulling anything out of my heiny that was not previously a food product. That I ate no less.

And I'd still look damned fine in a bikini.

No comments: