Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Have Wicked Sack. Also, I Have a New Bag.

So another birthday has come and gone, and I got some really cool loot. My daughter picked me out a new water bottle for my desk, and while I probably wouldn't have gone with the purple with a big pink heart on it, my little girl picked it out, so I use it with pride. The Moose got a more manly version to carry around. My lovely wife, however, (with a gentle nudge from me) came through with the prize gift this year.

I gots me a new man bag.

Indiana Jones

See, I carry a lot of junk around with me. I typically have two books, my PSP with games, cords for my iPhone and the PSP, a back up set of headphones, and just to be sure, a diaper, wipes, and a plastic bag to jettison any of my son's business in a public waste container. (I've been told by my wife this is bad form, but I ain't carrying it around with me.) I also keep a couple of folders for random paperwork that needs to be dealt with during the day.

I was toting all of this around in a laptop case, and that worked out okay, but didn't feel right. A laptop case implies a laptop, and while my ten year old machine runs Fallout 2 admirably well, it's not worth carrying around just for that. Besides that, as a programmer, I kind of needed something not computer related.

Jack Bauer

So now I have an excellently functional yet manly bag to sling about my shoulder (not unlike the one pictured above, sans scary sneer and weapon), and it's somehow...better. For reasons I don't at all understand, I feel better about carrying the exact same stuff in this bag than I did before. I guess it's because around here, computer bags are a dime a dozen.

But a good man bag - well, that's something special.

No comments: