Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Maybe I Just Don't Understand Art For Art's Sake

Okay, our situation has escalated and I'm now officially upset. See, I take great comfort in my belief that I'm the least mature person I work with. Well, this is no longer something I can take for granted.

At first it was a cry for help, then an unwarranted act of aggression against a friendly reminder of proper hygienic techniques. Oh sure, I wasn't thrilled to think that somewhere in my workplace, a psyche capable of such things was lurking, but what can you do? I work with a lot of people. Realistically, what are the odds that I'm the loopiest? (Don't answer that.)

Today, however, finds a thing that I simply cannot accept. See, someone (and I'm going to assume it's the same individual as before, if for no other reason that it allows me to limit the circle of crazy I'm dealing with) has taken a pen to the men's room and actually drawn a crude representation of male genitalia there. We're talking "creepy laundromat restroom" quality stuff here. In case that was deemed insufficient, he then also carved, for lack of a better term, "a boobie" into the toilet paper dispenser, lest some industrial cleaning person remove his mark from the world.

Cave Drawing

Look, I'm a graffitti aficionado from way back. I can understand wanting to share your vision with the world, regardless of what medium presents itself. This, however, this truly leaves me aghast. This is something I would have considered childish in middle school. The idea that here, in a professional setting, there lurks a mind that determined this to be a reasonable plan of action, that said to itself, "If only this wall had a weenie on it, then maybe things would be okay", actually leaves me uncomfortable in a way I haven't been since realizing that a lot of the people who comment on YouTube videos can legally vote.

This has me genuinely upset. It's not that I'm a prude. I can withstand the sight of a badly drawn bit of junk. It's just that I have certain expectations from people, expectations that I consider reasonable, and when those around me fail to meet these expectations...well, frankly it reduces my faith in humanity in general.

God dammit people, if you're going to write on bathroom walls, you have to at least try to be funny!

No comments: