Monday, April 27, 2009

Everything's So Green

So, a few weeks ago I managed to stave off an epic sinus infection, which was nice, as I get a little tired of constant headaches (I can't watch Fox News for the same reason). Well, it seems that it's back, so after a less successful run of your standard high strength antibiotic, I'm now getting the big treatments. This is leaving me with the question of whether the treatments are scarier than the actual illness.

First, my doctor is once again recommending that I start irrigating my head. He first suggested that I use the Neti Pot, which is a little teapot looking job that you stick up your nose and, harnessing the power of gravity, then pour through your freaking head. If you thing this sounds strange, go watch the demo for a real treat. Not feeling like hanging around a bathroom and watching water come out my nose for extended periods of time, I was lucky enough to get an accelerated version in a squeeze bottle. Still, the sensation is the same as snorting water up your nose when your swimming. Now imagine doing that on purpose in the hopes of, and I'm quoting my doctor here, "knocking something loose". I don't know what we're putting the firehouse on here, but I can tell you I'm not looking either way.

In addition to getting to use my head as a lovely fountain twice daily, he has thrown on an antibiotic that I have never taken before. Now, I usually take those little slips that they put in with your prescriptions, briefly look over the harmful side effects, and then promptly forget about them. Well this time it came with this big honking warning about how my tendons may weaken and rupture. Okay, that sounds...bad. I read on to the section that covers "call your doctor if" type things, and I see such things as sleeplessness, diarrhea, changes in sensation due to nerve damage, hallucinations...and I remembered why I don't usually read these things in detail.

I'm sure it will all amount to nothing. It's a little harrowing that this is what's required to rid myself of a silly sinus infection, but so be it. I guess on the bright side, my history is such that I would most likely recognize a chemical based hallucination should one occur.

I'll listen to some extra Pink Floyd today, just in case.

No comments: